Monday 17 December 2012

Browse » home» » Does KDP Select Negatively Affect eBook Sales?

Does KDP Select Negatively Affect eBook Sales?

I blogged about Amazon’s KDP Select program a couple of days ago.Since then I’ve been trying it out. Sure its only been two days since I enrolled my books in KDP Select but since Amazon only gives you 3 days to cancel enrollment I have to make a fast decision based on the data I have.Here’s my data from the past two days: 20 eBooks Enrolled 0 eBook Borrowed (note: Units Borrowed is a new column in your report after enrolling in KDP Select)That’s not very encouraging. Particularly since many of the books I have enrolled get sales every day and are on Page 1 in the Kindle Marketplace for multiple keyword phrases.But, there’s potentially even worse news: I think having an ebook in the KDP Select program negatively affects its  regular marketplace sales.I can’t be totally sure about this after only 2 days but i noticed a significant decrease in sales after enrolling the 20 ebooks in KDP Select.


most people who shop on Amazon are not Amazon Prime members. So they see that some people get the ebook for free while they have to pay. Think about it from the point of view of the shopper… “Oh, this book is free if you’re a member of that club so it’s probably not very good. I’m sure they don’t give away their good books.”I’m going to test this out. While I’m going to cancel KDP Select enrollment for my best selling ebooks I’m going to keep a few of the moderate sellers enrolled and see what happens.  By the end of the year I’ll have enough data to make an educated decision about whether or not KDP Select is worthwhile for Independent Publishers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.